This classic recipe from Gourmet is a perfectly luxe hors d'oeuvre for any celebration. This recipe makes 48 hors d'ouevres.
- 10 oz of whipped cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped, fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 6, (6in x 5in) oval slices of dark pumpernickel sandwich bread (about 1/3 inch thick)
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced Scottish smoked salmon
- 2oz of Salmon roe
- Stir together cream cheese, zest, lemon juice, chives, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Stack the bread slices and then trim to form 4.25in by 3.25in inch rectangles. Arrange rectangles in 1 layer
- Spread each rectangle with 1 heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture and top with a thin layer of smoked salmon. Trim the edges to make sure the smoked salmon is uniform.
- Chill rectangles on a platter until the tops are firm (usually about 1 hour)
- Cut rectangles into 8 (1.5inch by 1inch) pieces.
- Top with salmon roe